Monday, July 24, 2006

Oh dear, what's happening here?

While browsing through the emusic files one day I came across a band called Matson Jones. I had never heard of them before, and when I read their description it noted that the band features two cellists/vocalists, a drummer, and an upright bassist. As soon as I read that I knew I had to give them a listen, I mean it's not every day that you hear about an indie band jamming with two cellos and a standup bass.

After listening to a few tracks I was sold. One thing I really like about a band or artist is if they have an original sound, and Matson Jones sounds unlike anything I've heard before. Dark lyrics, with a double-cello attack, and the presence of two distict vocalists throughout many of their songs is just another added layer of sound that seems to hold everything together. Matson Jones calls the beautiful town of Ft. Collins Colorado home, and so far have two releases under their belt on Sympathy Records, their self-titled debut came in 2005, followed in early 2006 with a Four Song EP.



Listen:

Matson Jones - Good Advice
Matson Jones - Sympathy
Matson Jones - Wrecking Ball


See Matson Jones in concert on Friday July 28, 2006 at the Aggie Theater, Ft. Collins Colorado.

Official site
On Myspace
At eMusic

1 comments:

Andrea said...

They're my great new find of the week! What a great band.