Monday, January 29, 2007

I think I'm falling for RJD2....

I mean, I don't want to have the guy's baby or anything.

But, damn.

I've been listening to his stuff almost nonstop since a friend of mine recommended that I give it a spin. So I guess I'm "falling for him" in that sense of the rare occurrences that you discover a new artist who makes music that fits right in your taste range, and you end up celebrating their entire repertory in no time at all. I haven't made my way through RJD2's entire repertory yet, but I'm well on my way. Lucky for me he has a new album coming out in March titled The Third Hand and he will be performing at SXSW, so I caught on at a good time. He'll be sharing the stage with Girl Talk, The Ponys, Do Make Say Think and The Pipettes at the Pitchfork "Music Festival," as reported here.

I'm working on a couple of other projects at the moment, so I'll have to say more about RJD2 later in the week. I'll try to highlight some of his work from various albums and compilations, and discuss his background and affiliations and such.

Oh yeah, and the music. RJD2 has made a bunch of it this decade. Obscure funk samples from the 70s & 80s, quality rhymes from underground hip-hop artists such as EL-P and MF DOOM, sounds reminiscent of cult movie soundracks, Ratatat/DJ Shadow-esque electronica and ultimately live instrumentation. Those are some of the elements I've heard in the Ohio DJ's wares. Until tomorrow, here's another track from his acclaimed debut album Dead Ringer which you can pick up here and here, among other places.

RJD2 - Good Times Roll, Pt. 2


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new album isn't anything like the older stuff. He's stopped using samples and it's more of a pop album than anything else. In truth, I didn't like it very much. It's DJ Shadow all over again.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I've read so far about the new one. I have it lined up on the docket, but there's still a couple of recordings I want to peruse before getting to TTH. I'll probably write a little something on it towards the end of this week...