Monday, February 19, 2007

The Moviemix

I've been wanting to compile a list of my favorite music featured in film for a long time, and last night I finally got around to doing it. A spent a good chunk of time not only on deciding which songs to choose, but mostly on their order of appearance. No pun intended.

I think it turned out pretty well, and there are some true classics included. The individual songs are listed below along with a link to each respective soundtrack, and they are available to hear by clicking on the image above. I started out aiming for a maximum of ten songs, but with all of this great material it got out of hand quickly. If you like any of the songs featured on the moviemix, you can purchase the soundtrack with the provided links. Most of the soundtracks these songs were picked from are really good, and would be nice additions to your library.

1. Dustin O'Halloran - "Opus 23" from Marie Antoinette
2. Mark Mothersbaugh - "No Jazz" from Bottle Rocket
3. Mulatu Astatke - "Yegelle Tezeta" from Broken Flowers
4. Paul Simon - "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" from The Royal Tenenbaums
5. Cat Stevens - "Here Comes My Baby" from Rushmore
6. Melanie - "Brand New Key" from Boogie Nights
7. The Yardbirds - "For Your Love" from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Wreckless Eric - "Whole Wide World" from Stranger Than Fiction
9. Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Sweet Home Alabama" from Forrest Gump
10. Foghat - "Slow Ride" - from Dazed and Confused
11. David Bowie - "Queen Bitch" from The Life Aquatic
12. The Bee Gees - "Stayin' Alive" - from Saturday Night Fever
13. The Knack - "My Sharona" from Reality Bites
14. The Ramones - "Judy Is A Punk" from The Royal Tenenbaums
15. Sweet - "Ballroom Blitz" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show
16. George Baker Selection - "Little Green Bag" from Resevoir Dogs
17. Heart - "Magic Man" from The Virgin Suicides
18. The Mamas and The Papas - "California Dreamin'" from Forrest Gump
19. Elton John - "Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous
20. The Kinks - "Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy" from High Fidelity
*Hear it


Wayne said...

great selection of songs there, my favourite is queen bitch when it comes in at the end of life aquatic, just sensational.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Thanks Wayne

Life Aquatic is my favorite Anderson film, but I've come to find that I'm in the minority on that one. I'll be eagerly awaiting his new release in 2008...

Casey said...

That was fun to read. I especially enjoyed your offering of a track by Wreckless Eric. I had heard OF him...but never heard him.
Thanks for the post.
Visiting from...

Amy said...

love it!

thanks :)

Mr. Curiosity said...

My pleasure

tsiatko said...

Hey, on track 3 you have the names reversed Mulatu Astatke is the name of the musician not the track. His CD in the Ethiopiques series is amazing.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Right you are. Thanks for the correction.

I'll have to look into that cd you mentioned...

Ryan of the RSL blog said...

This is a great entry. I have thinking about doing one of these on my page, but I am as much a moviefile as I am into music and my wheels spin for so long that this post would never have a satisfying end.

I would include:
All the Tired Horses - Dylan used most recently in Blow
Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel from the Graduate
and interestingly, the new Dropkick Murphy's song from The Departed... (As I am Boston, these things happen)

By the way, Wes Anderson rocks. My favorite is still Bottle Rocket though.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Thanks Ryan. It's hard for me to argue against Bottle Rocket for top choice. That was the first one I ever purchased.