Saturday, February 17, 2007

Bees! Bees everywhere!


Over the past week or so I've been noticing what seems like an inordinate amount of bands who have the word 'Bee' in their name. The Bird and the Bee, The Bees (known in United States as A Band of Bees,) and Persephone's Bees each showed up on my radar over the past few days.

The Bees are are an English band whose third full-length album Octopus is being released on the 19th of March via Virgin Records/Astralwerks. The Bees are classified as indie rock, though they a particular style of music that is somewhat hard to categorize, with influences such as 60's rock, reggae and jazz. Last night I listened through Octopus and while I was doing so I jotted down my stream of consciousness, which I included below.


They sound a bit like The Coral.

Nice jazzy beat, with a touch of the 60-70's.

This would make great driving music.

There's some groove inducing organ work.

Very accessible and refreshing.

The Bees - Got To Let Go

The Bees - Listening Man

More on The Bees: Website - MySpace - Wiki

----

Shortly after I made this entry I received an update from Afternoon Records about the Minneapolis-based band Mouthful of Bees. I was literally on my way out the door, but after hearing their single "The Now" I had to take a few minutes to highlight them before I left.

"Minneapolis natives Mouthful of Bees formed in 2004 as just a brother-sister guitar-and-drummer duo (Chris and Kate), but eventually evolved into the full-sized band with the addition of Micky Alfano and Mark Ritsema (of Battle Royale).

In short, Mouthful of Bees play a composite of old-fashioned rock 'n roll and newly fangled indie-rock. Doused with reverb and healthily distorted guitars, the band is fronted with a solid background in riff-rock and what the record lacks in fidelity is made up by the band's youthful optimism and innovative songwriting.

With a voice reminiscent of the likes of Figure 8-era Elliot Smith and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Chris Farstad's angelic voice is eerily contagious and compelling. Set apart from other songwriters by his unique voice and intelligent approach to songwriting, Farstad is the best frontman out of Minneapolis you nearly never heard of."

Mouthful of Bees - The Now

Check them out at myspace.com/mouthfulofbees

----

Two more bands of Bees:

Persephone's Bees - Nice Day (Broken Spindles Remix)
(found at 5 Acts)

The Bird and the Bee - Fucking Boyfriend (Peaches Remix)
(found at BrooklynVegan)

----

Also, since I name-dropped The Coral it's only fitting to show them a little love. This track is from their self-titled debut album, which you can purchase here.

The Coral - Dreaming of You
www.thecoral.co.uk

0 comments: