Tuesday, February 13, 2007

One Two Three Four

I discovered this recording in 2006, and once I transferred it to my ipod I probably listened to it for about a week straight before I was able to tear myself away and focus on something else. I had always been a mild Ramones fan before hand, and had owned their compilation album Mania for a few years. But I didn't really 'get it' until I heard this live bootleg titled Rock & Roll College, recorded way back in October of 1979 at Northwestern University. There's just this mass of energy being put forth that they supply virtually non-stop for 60 full minutes, and it's awesome to hear the crowd pay the band a proper tribute. It motivated me to go out and purchase a few Ramones DVDs afterwards (Raw, End of the Century), just to make sure that I got the full effect.

This performance is comprised of a whopping 31 tracks, so I'll be putting it up in two parts. I know that I probably repeat this over and over again, but a quality pair of headphones (see: not earbuds) and high volume really is the only way to go with stuff like this.

The Ramones - Rock & Roll College
Cahn Auditorium, Northwestern University
Evanston, Illinois
October 13, 1979

I'll have the second part of this recording toward the weekend.


*edit - Someone asked about the shirts. They are here and here.


Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. The Rock & Roll High School / End Of The Century era is my favorite of theirs. Looking forward to part two.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Yeah that era seems like it was when the Ramones were at their best, at least from what I've seen and heard. There's some crazy footage on Raw from that time frame, and they're nearly getting mauled by a huge group of fans who are beating on the car and blocking their exit.