Thursday, February 15, 2007

The White Stripes, WMBR Radio Sessions

With all the White Stripes news that has been circulating recently, coupled with my focus on live audio all of this week, I thought I would highlight a live radio show that the White Stripes recorded back in 2000.

First of all, here's the news. The Rock Radio reported in January that "The White Stripes are reportedly asking interested record labels to fork over a few million dollars for just one album, according to Hits Daily Double. The Detroit duo became free agents earlier this month when their previous company, V2 Records, shut its doors." And then today I read "Detroit duo the White Stripes has found a new U.S recording home with Warner Bros. Records. The deal is only for one album and limited to North America, the band's publicist said."

Also, as was reported earlier this week the White Stripes will be one of the headlining acts at the Bonnaroo music festival June 14-17. Bonnaroo is 119 days away, but tickets will likely sell out well before then. The first tickets will be priced at a special rate of $184.50 each, and there is a limited allotment of tickets at this price. When the first allotment is sold out, ticket prices will increase without notice to $199.50 and then again without notice to $214.50.

If I were wagering on the release date for this new one-off Stripes record, I'd bet it will be out in July or August followed by a long list of tour stops around the globe. I was able to attend their last Austin performance in 2003 at Stubb's, and I'd have to say that it is still one of the best concert experiences that I have been a part of.

The White Stripes' WMBR Radio Sessions was recorded in September of 2000, three months after the release of their second album (and still my personal favorite) De Stijl. One interesting thing to note is that this is one of the last recordings of the White Stripes prior to the time that they entered the studio in February 2001 to record White Blood Cells, the album that took the duo out of midsized Detroit rock & roll venues and thrust them into the international spotlight.

The White Stripes
WMBR Radio Sessions
Boston, Massachusetts
September 23, 2000

1. Let's Shake Hands (1:50)
2. When I Hear My Name (1:56)
3. Lord, Send Me an Angel (Blind Willie McTell) (2:25)
4. Apple Blossom (2:05)
5. You're Pretty Good Looking (1:39)
6. Hello Operator (2:09)
7. St. James Infirmary (Joe Primrose) (1:41)
8. Screwdriver (2:38)

WhiteStripes.com

5 comments:

Joe Lazar said...

Arcade Fire are the best band in the world, hands down, but the Stripes are the next in line. Im so excited now after hearing about the one year deal. More Stripes soon!

De Stijl the best? The worst if you ask me.

Mr. Curiosity said...

It sounds like you and I are on opposite ends of the same magnet. I love De Stijl, and don't get much into the Arcade Fire. Their talent is through the roof, it's just not my bag.

You'd choose Elephant? Or the self-titled?

Joe Lazar said...

I'd actually choose Get Behind Me Satan. I think it is the most balanced and focused sounding.

Doctor Mooney said...

An Arcade Fire fan would pick Get Behind Me Satan. De Stijl is amazing! Thanks for posting these!

Cheers,
DoctorMooney

Mark said...

White Stripes is the best, closely followed by De Stijl!