Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Reasons I keep eMusic

I've been an eMusic subscriber for almost two years now, and every time I think about letting my membership lapse I end up being glad that I didn't. Running a music blog means that I get about a dozen cds in the mail every week, and piles of email from artists and record labels who want me to give their material a spin. Even so, I just can't find the strength to release eMusic's huge library from my grasp and give my credit card a much needed breather. If I did so, that would mean I'd miss out on little golden nuggets like the ones below that I've come across while finding good ways to use my monthy downloads.

---

I heard this first song in a documentary about the dark side of the music industry called Before The Music Dies, which examines why most current radio sucks and inspires one to see that there's still a lot of good music out there to be found and had. From time to time, Correo Aereo call Austin home and they have steady local gigs in the Austin area whenever they're here.

Correo Aereo - "Cuatrapeado" (@ eMusic)

I knew that E*vax (aka electrician Evan Mast of Ratatat) had produced an album called Parking Lot Music prior to forming Ratatat, but I had never seen a copy of it anywhere nor heard anything from it until uncovering it recently on eMusic. The music he creates here is minimalist, using everyday sounds samples to create simple electronic beats.

E*vax - "The Process of Leaving"
E*vax - "We Believe in Broken Bones"

After downloading Parking Lot Music I was provided with a link to other albums that were recommended listening if you were into E*vax or other electronic production in general. One of the albums listed was 15 Ideas How To Treat Commodore 64 Game Tunes In The 21st Century, a collection of 15 original songs created by using sound samples from various Commodore 64 video games. Have patience with "Crazy 64," it develops nicely.

Gebrüder Teichmann - "Crazy 64"
Steve Claydon - "Wicked Cool Rock School"

Dial 'M' For Monkey, the first release on Ninja Tune from the British producer, composer, musician and DJ Simon Green, otherwise known as Bonobo. Ninja Tune is a London-based independent record label started in 1991 by DJs Matt Black and Jonathan More, better known as Coldcut, with a strong leaning towards electronic, abstract hip-hop, instrumental hip hop, nu jazz, drum and bass, and chillout music.

Bonobo - "Nothing Owed"
Bonobo - "Pick Up"

And one more from that Jazz & Milk Breaks EP where I found a Free The Robots track. I think jazz flute is making a comeback...

Mr. Chop - "Snob"

1 comments:

E-Nyce said...

Hi, new postor (poster?) here.

I love your blog, glad I found it recently.

Trouble with my hesitance to subscribing to eMusic is that I have never found a resounding "Yeah! Sign up with them!!" Always it's been an ambivalent "Yeah, they're OK." Just like you wrote.

What I'm really looking for is a good old fashion, dukes-swinging debate pro/con of eMusic or some other subscription service. Does anyone have a link?

What actually do You think is needed for eMusic to win over new members and make current members happier?