Monday, May 07, 2007

Blasts from the Past

Here is some old stuff to keep things fresh. In the 1990's, where I grew up these were some of the songs that everyone was listening to.

If you are alive, and you're from this planet, then you have heard this one before. Yes sir, that's what they call double Platinum. In 1991 Summertime reached was the #1 Rap Single on the billboard Hot 100.


Ah, Boyz II Men. These guys were all over the place in the 90's. I think I still have a cassette tape of Cooleyhighharmony around here somewhere. I was twelve years old when this song hit #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991.


I had no idea this band was Dutch until today. This song might as well have been their one and only recording, because I seriously doubt anyone ever heard anything else by this one hit wonder. "Deeper Shade of Soul" samples the 1968 Ray Barretto song of the same name, and it topped at the 21st spot on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1991.


Totally Krossed Out is certified 4x Platinum, and I still have no idea why they wanted you to jump. I think I was in the 6th grade when that song hit #1. It was a toss-up between that one and Warm It Up for inclusion here, and I went with the latter. Did you know this album was produced by Jermaine Dupri? I didn't know that...


On my very first visit to California I made sure to stop by Fat Burger before I left, all because Ice Cube stopped by there at two in the morning and put it in a song. It peaked into the top 20 in the Billboard Hot 100, number 7 on the R&B charts and it was also a huge hit in the UK Charts, peaking at #27.


Another one hit wonder was Positive K, aka Darryl Gibson from New York, whose song "I Got a Man" peaked at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1993. I had mostly forgotten this song until hearing it again on DJ Kicks: Hot Chip.


Obviously, "The song is a "rags-to-riches chronicle" detailing his early years in poverty, his initial dreams of becoming a rap artist and early influences, his time in drugs and crime, and his eventual success in the music business." It was certified platinum by RIAA in 1995, and used recently by Girl Talk in the song "Smash Your Head."


This single by the Oakland rap duo Luniz was certified platinum by the RIAA on October 31, 1995 for individual sales of one million copies. It samples Club Nouveau's "Why You Treat Me So Bad" (1986) and Kool and the Gang's "Jungle Boogie" (1973). Did anyone outside of the south really listen to this one? I was under the impression that it was purely a southern thing...


I don't know about the rest of the country, but this next song was large in clubs all over the south (for about two weeks) when it was first released in 1996. I'm still trying to track down a decent quality mp3 of this, so for now it will have to be 128k. Crucial Conflict are from Chicago, and apparently they're still making music.


I didn't quite understand why this band became so insanely popular, but this song was always a staple of summer soundtracks. From Wiki: "Doin' Time" is a loose cover of "Summertime" by George Gershwin, composed for the opera Porgy and Bess. The track heavily samples a cover of "Summertime" by jazz floutist Herbie Mann, a live bossa nova version from his album Herbie Mann at the Village Gate. Future Long Beach Dub Allstars DJ Marshall Goodman appears on the recording and is mentioned in the lyrics.

7 comments:

johngross said...

best post you have ever done

Anonymous said...

you're old!

rena said...

you're young!

but you fucking rock anyway.

Guy said...

Brilliant Post, is it sad i bump probably 1 of these songs a day?

Mr. Curiosity said...

Well it's cool to know that I can still rock despite my decrepid old age.

Samantha said...

Yay! Thanks for this...classic jams all, Positive K transported me to my 8th grade dance.

George said...

dude. I just found this. please, can you post the UDS tune again? i cannot find this anywhere and i have been looking.

if ya cain't, that's cool.

Thanks
G