Friday, June 22, 2007

Female French Pop

Earlier this week I discovered a French band called the Plastiscines thanks to a tip from a friend. They're an all-female rock quartet out of Paris whose influences "include the White Stripes, the Strokes and, from an earlier generation, the Kinks and Blondie. Their name derives from the phrase "plasticine porters with looking glass ties," from the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." They've just released their debut album titled LP1 this year.

Thinking the Plastiscines had a pretty cool sound, I figured I'd use them as a starting point for a little playlist of female French pop. I found a track from another French band named Curlee Wurlee, who play "a mix of 60s oriented organ driven beat, surf and fuzz garage punk consisting of original compositions in Frenglish (statistically speaking something around 60% English/Frenglish, 40% French, 10% instrumentals and 1,7% German which makes out a total of 111,7%.)"

Follow the links to get more...
I finished the list off with a few French cover versions of songs that are, for the most part, instantly recognizable. One comes from the Ultra Chicks series, one comes from Fabienne DelSol, a couple more come from the Pop A Paris compilation, and I picked a handful from the catalog of Sylvie Vartan, whom you can read about here and here.

The first person to leave a comment identifying each of the covers might just win a sweet prize of some sort. The only hint I'll give is that "Ne Le Decois Pas" was also covered by my favorite cover band from Detroit. Enjoy!

5 comments:

aikin said...

Interesting post! You stumped me on about half of the songs, so I'm not going to compete for the prize.

I don't read or speak French, so how they ended up with "Marie Douceur Marie Colere" out of "Paint it Black" is beyond me.

Modern Father said...

I got it!

1.“Laisse Tomber Les Filles” was a cover of France Gall (composed by Serge Gainsbourg)
2.“La Grand Amour” cover of Dusty Springfield’s Son of a Preacher Man, originally written by John Hurley and Ronnie Wilkins
3.“Marie Douceur Marie Colere” is a cover of Rollings Stones “Paint it Black” credited to Jagger & Richards
4.“Ne T'en Va Pas” was a cover of Mel Torme’s Comin Home Baby
5."Est-Ce Que Tu Le Sais?" is a Ray Charles cover written by Ray Charles of What I Say?
6."Ne Le Decois Pas" is a Yardbirds cover written by Patton & Rogers (Putty (In Your Hands)
7."Sois Pas Cruel" is an Elvis cover written by Otis Blackwell (Don’t Be Cruel)
8."Ces Bottes Sont Faites Pour Marcher" is a Nancy Sinatra song written by Lee Hazlewood (These Boots Are Made For Walking)

Great post. Lovin' the blog.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Bingo, you got it Modern Father. Would you send me an email with your mailing address?

Aikin, I have no clue what the signifigance of "Marie Douceur Marie Colere" might be. It seems like the rest of them are all translated literally...

Guuzbourg said...

sylvie vartan has a new album out, called nouvelle vague, containing her favourite sixties songs (hence more covers). for more french singing female, see my blog: www.fillessourires.com

aikin said...

After a little Internet research, the lyrics to "Marie Douceur Marie Colere" seem to have nothing to do with the original song. The singer, Marie Laforet, apparently just took the tune and put new words to it.

I found this explanation in the comments section of a blog called Expressio Unius:
"the song is talking about the two sides to Marie, the nice side and the angry side."