Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting Icky

I have been waiting to get my hands on a proper version of Icky Thump before sitting down and giving it an attentive listen, and today I had the chance to do that. Lordy, lordy, lordy. This album is friggin fantastic. Anyone who was disappointed with the direction that they took on Get Behind Me Satan will be thrilled to hear the Stripes back in the business of rock & roll. Here are my thoughts on each track as I first listened to it:
  1. "Icky Thump" - Everyone has surely this one already.
  2. "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)" - Sounds at first very similar to "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground," so this one is pretty good by default. Add in the touch of organ with a high-pitched guitar solo on the end, and you've got yourself a winner.
  3. "300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues" - This one takes it easy as the tension builds with sporadic guitar freakouts, with some nice acoustic strumming in the background the duration.
  4. "Conquest" - Bananas. Sounds like a rock & roll reproduction of a Tarzan musical that takes place deep in the jungle as a full band dances around an open fire, all being led Peter-Pan-style by Jack and his guitar.
  5. "Bone Broke" - Noise, yelling, feedback, and 100% guitar riffs.
  6. "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn" - The ad wizards over at Irish Spring could do some good things with this track. Bagpipes, rythmic percussion, with a banjo-esque (is that a banjo?) strum as the foundation of the whole thing.
  7. "St. Andrew (This Battle Is in the Air)" - General weirdness that spins off of the bagpipes and and hand-claps of the previous track, with a guitar freak-out and some chick trying to chat it up with St. Andrew.
  8. "Little Cream Soda" - Rock. I have to take a deep breath after this one. It kind of reminds me of earlier, heavier stuff like "Astro."
  9. "Rag & Bone" - Is vintage Stripes, with Jack & Meg interacting over cheeky dialog between three sections of their signature blues rock.
  10. "I'm Slowly Turning Into You" - Sounds at first like a Satan b-side, before a nasty, nasty guitar riff kicks in and does wonderous things for this track.
  11. "A Martyr For My Love For You" - At first sounds like the most "average" track on the album so far, until the hook comes in at 1:55 at gets you out of your seat with a quick head-banging section followed by an organ-filled "Doorbell"-esque dance groove.
  12. "Catch Hell Blues" - Holy rockamole. If I were a female, I would take my panties off and throw them at someone every time I heard this song.
  13. "Effect & Cause" - Another one of those Jack White front-porch-folk songs that every fan with an acoustic guitar will learn to play within a week of the album's release, and a good way to close out the album.




I really didn't know what to expect from this album, after the Stripes had wandered pretty far away (with the last album) from the style that had made me a fan in the first place. Whatever my expectations might have been, they were exceeded. I can't wait for the ACL Fest to get here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also got a White Stripes bootleg for you, though I'm not sure of the date that it took place. It is titled The Boston Tea Party, and it includes the Nat King Cole cover that I used recently, along with a few rare Stripes songs like "Look Me Over Closely," "Red Bird," and their cover of Blind Willie McTell's "Lord, Send Me An Angel." I'll up the first half below, and send the second over to Mediafire.

The White Stripes - Live at the Orpheum, Boston
  1. "Black Math"
  2. "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"
  3. "Let's Shake Hands"
  4. "I Think I Smell A Rat"
  5. "Jolene"
  6. "The Hardest Button to Button"
  7. "Look Me Over Closely"
  8. "Apple Blossom"
  9. "You're Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)"
  10. "In the Cold Cold Night"

5 comments:

Sodwee said...

http://redcandycane.wordpress.com/bootlegs/

even more bootlegs !!!

Jess said...

Hey, Don't know if you saw this, but Filter Magazine posted a preview of Icky Thump:
http://blog.filter-mag.com/

Best,
Jess

Ryan of the RSL blog said...

I wish I could help you with an exact date - but it's 2003.

Gregor said...

20th of April 2003

Mr. Curiosity said...

Thank you very much for that.