Are you fucking serious? Deepthroat Hilton is sitting in court, making the sign of the cross and praying to get out of jail time for drunk driving or whatever the hell it was? You've got to be friggin kidding me. That's about the equivalent of Mel Gibson converting to judaism and then making a Passion of the Christ sequel. Someone please wake me when this isn't a top news story anymore. I've got more important things to occupy my time, like figuring out where I can buy some green shoe strings. It isn't that easy, friends.
On a whim I decided to search my music library for religious themes, and came up with some (surprisingly) good results. An eclectic mix of music, that's for sure. An intro from Echoboy and his acordian is followed by some blues from the Soledad Brothers, and a 1927 original from the legendary Blind Willie Johnson.
After that comes some acoustic John Lennon, a nice Beach Boys cover from Ben Kweller, and a couple of live tracks from Jeff Tweedy (thanks Southside) & Jeff Mangum.
Rounding out the list is a lo-fi B-side from Two Gallants (thanks the punkguy), some good-old Beulah, and a little comic relief from The D.
Take it for a spin:
- Echoboy - "Plastic Gods"
- Soledad Brothers - "What Hath God Wraught"
- Blind Willie Johnson - "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed"
- John Lennon - "God"
- Ben Kweller - "God Only Knows" (Beach Boys)
- Jeff Tweedy - "Jesus, Etc." (Live)
- Jeff Mangum - "Jesus Christ" (Live)
- Two Gallants - "Jesus Waxen Old"
- Beulah - "Me and Jesus Don't Talk Anymore"
- Tenacious D - "Jesus Ranch"
A few other tracks that were considered:
- The Veils - "Jesus For The Jugular"
- Mr. Airplane Man - "Jesus On The Mainline"
- The Byrds - "Jesus Is Just Alright"
- El Perro Del Mar - "God Knows"
- Pink Mountaintops - "Lord, Let Us Shine"
- The White Stripes - "Lord, Send Me an Angel"
- Johnny Cash - "Personal Jesus"
- Shellac - "Prayer to God"
- Slayer - "I'm Gonna Be Your God" (the Stooges)
- DJ Drama - "Jesus Walks" (Paul Wall feat. Bun B)