Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Toadies

For a good period of time you would have been hard pressed to find a bigger Toadies fan than myself. I had some of the best times loading up with a close group of friends and seeing as many Toadies shows as we possibly could. We ended up becoming pretty close to everyone who was involved, traveling hundreds of miles to watch them perform and have a big party after the show. When the band unraveled and moved on to create new things we went right along with them. We were pretty hardcore with it. I honestly cannot count the number of times that I've seen the Toadies and Burden Brothers play. It's at least half a hundred. Made some damn good friends and had some unforgettable times.

Anyway, the Toadies have gotten back together once again and it looks like people are pretty excited about it. Their show at the Austin Music Hall on Friday is sold out, as is one of the two they have booked in San Antonio. They'll also be in Houston, Grand Prairie, Corpus, Little Rock, Shreveport, and New Orleans. (Dates & Tix) This isn't the first time they've done the whole "reuniting" thing, which tends to rub some hardcore fans the wrong way. In my opinion, if they can still pack a room, put on a great show, and in doing so cause a bunch of people to enjoy themselves, then what difference does it make?

To rekindle some of that good old-fashioned mid 90's post-grunge angst, here is a fan collected compilation of Toadies songs that you'd have a hard time tracking down otherwise. I seriously doubt that anyone will mind me sharing this thing, most of it is out of print anyway. You can always go to the store and pick up Rubberneck and Hell Below/Stars Above. Here's three tracks to wet your beak, and you can download the whole thing right here.

10 comments:

Thomas said...

The Ultimate Toadies brings back some good memories. It was the first time I was able to hear really good studio versions of most of those songs. I do remember it ending with the live version of Waterfall. Thanks for the extras, of which Garry Numans Cars was the only one I hadn’t heard. As much as I miss the Toadies I also miss their BBS. They have a new official site that is still being worked on at http://thetoadiesrock.com/
I know they are using Baboon’s Mark Hughes for these shows, but I do hope they find someone else to fill in. A Toadies/Baboon 2008 tour would make my year, but if Hughes had to do both shows each night he might be a little fatigued. One can dream though.
I know I asked once before and you did accept my request but I was too slow in responding and the link was dead. I would really love to hear Baboon’s version of Gates of Steel. Thanks.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Hey thanks for the feedback man, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth. I'll put that Baboon track in here tomorrow when I get back to the desktop.

Brian said...

Thanks so much for putting this up. I've been wanting to listen to these tracks for years but was never able to find them. I already own their albums and it just isn't enough.

Here's to a new Toadies album!

Thomas said...

Thanks ahead of time for the Baboon song. I heard the Toadies added 'Run in with Dad' to their set list. Now that would be nice to hear.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Gates of Steel

Thomas said...

That was worth the wait. The only other time I heard them play 'Gates' was from a short 45 second video clip from SXSW 2006. You can still view it here. http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/2006/sxsw/music/baboon.html
Thanks again.
Now back to your regularly scheduled show. The Toadies.

Stacie said...

i had this gut feeling that a musical literate person as yourself had had seen the toadies at least a few (or half a hundred) times.

GovtFlu said...

I've been looking for "I hope you die" for years. I will name all my children after you...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just found this on the net. Are they still together? Im from California, but saw them a half dozen times back in the say live, and would be stoked for another toadies album.

Mr. Curiosity said...

Yep.

http://thetoadies.com/