Monday, January 14, 2008

Covert Curiosity 2.0

Hello all you lovely people out there, I hope you're having a fine day. For the past couple of weeks I've been tinkering around with a few different additions to this site, and today I finally got all of the changes in order.

The first one is a new playtagger that has increased functionality over the old one, allowing you to adjust the volume and scroll through all of the tracks on the front page. The second is the Austin Music Shuffle in the sidebar, a streaming flash player filled exclusively with tracks from some of my favorite Austin artists. The entire playlist shuffles automatically, so all you have to do is press the play button to hear hours of Austin music. It includes songs from just about every local act I've written about here since I started this blog. I'll be editing the list as things progress to keep it fresh.

The third is a donation button. I'm trying to come out even on the financial side of running this blog, and I'd rather not have a bunch of ads all over the place. I'm not knocking blogs that choose to do that, it's just not my thing. A couple of other little changes I made was to gussy up the look of my calendar a bit, and add some new links to a bunch of other blogs that you should be checking out. I hope you like the changes.

Oh, and one last thing. I'm looking for contributors. I have been running Covert Curiosity for well over a year now, and it has been built up to the point that I simply cannot keep up with all of the good music that is sent to me. I only have two ears, and I've got other priorities that take up a bunch of time, so I would really love to bring on some people to contribute to this blog. The only true requirements that I am looking for are:
  1. You have to really love music.
  2. You must have some basic knowledge of the internet.
Obviously I'd like to find people who are local to Austin, but that won't necessarily be a determining factor. If you follow this blog, you know that it focuses on rock (indie/psychedelic/garage) electronic (everything but techno/trance), plus some hip hop, funk, and of course all of the best local Austin music.

All you would really have to do is listen to free music, find some that you like, and write a few pretty words about it. You'll be able to check out some free shows, get some free music, and make some good contacts within the music biz. That's pretty much the whole deal. Feel free to get in touch with me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Cheers, y'all.