His garage/punk sound "expertly mixes aggression and melody, in which jagged time slips from comfort to nightmare, all in pop song format", according to SXSW. It only took one listen to his solo debut for me to realize that this guy, who has been making records since he was 15, has definitely got this whole music thing figured out. The main draw for me is that it has a sense of immediacy and honesty that you don't seem to hear much of these days. Whatever it is, he just needs to keep on doing it.
As far as I can tell, each of the 7'' singles that the following mp3s came from are sold out and hard to find. You can purchase Blood Visions of course, and I'll post an update when the first Matador single is available. Listen up, and do exactly what the picture says.
- Jay Reatard - "In The Dark" (Squoodge)
- Jay Reatard - "It's So Useless" (Goner)
- Jay Reatard - "Let It All Go" (P. Trash)
- Jay Reatard - "I Know a Place" (Goner)
- Jay Reatard - "Night of Broken Glass" (In The Red)