Monday, January 28, 2008

She, Sir and the Austin Chronicle Music Poll

[photo by Aubrey Edwards]

This blade of grass I'm holding between my index finger and my thumb has taken on a world of its own. It's very smooth, yet after a few strokes, a bit of resistance begins to be evident. It's almost sticky even though the smoothness is what I first notice. So many grooves for a smooth blade as well. I pick up another one and the markings are very different. Sometimes we get so caught up in our ordinary lives, that we forget to calm our minds and just be an observer. We could learn a lot from monks in that respect.

I failed to mention that I have the last She, Sir EP gently breezing through my ears. I blame them for this heightened awareness. Once the first track was initiated, all of those familiar aspects of shoegaze warmth are remembered quickly. The emphasis of the major 7th throughout the song. The steady and lazy vocal melodies. The unobtrusive drums. Yes, it's all here, and it's all done well. A perfect soundtrack for those afternoons on hillsides where we lose our egos and strip the layers of life into more manageable pieces.

Realizing that I am a bit behind on getting around to this EP, I'd just like to point out that it's never too late to experience good music. She, Sir will be playing this week on Thursday, January 31st at The Parish with The Mercers and the effortless talent of Bill Baird's Sunset.

The guys have told me their full length LP is being recorded by Cacophony Recorders' Eric Wofford. If you've heard of bands like The Octopus Project, Explosions in the Sky, The Black Angels, and Zykos, then you're already familiar with the sounds he is capable of getting out of talented musicians. Using flute, clarinet, banjo, organs, bells, timpani, and other instrumentation, the band will be striving to keep the last EP's tone resonating, but with different colors of sound and more "pop sensibility" as they put it.

shesir.com
You can buy the whole EP, "Who Can't Say Yes", at CDBaby.

Don't forget (unless you never knew) that the Austin Chronicle Music Poll is almost due, and this is our chance to be heard. Last year, The Octopus Project did rather well taking home four awards for Best Experimental Band, Best Indie Band, Best Instrumental Band, and Best Miscellaneous Instrument Player. I want to see more great bands like them win this year and there's only one way that can happen. No, you don't have to live in Austin to participate, either. Do it here.

0 comments: