Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Caribou is radical

I go out to see more live music than your average Joe, which is just one perk of living in this fine town. I see so much of it that I probably get a little bit numbed to the whole live experience, but every now and then I get a chance to catch a performance that is on a higher level than the rest. I've only been listening to Caribou for about a year, so going into the show I didn't really have any expectations for what they would be like in a live setting. I knew it would be cool, but that's about it.

I had a chance to catch them over the weekend, and it will definitely go down as one of the better shows I see this year. They've got incredible dual percussion, cool guitar/keyboard effects, the whole stage draped in trippy lighting, and just all-around impressive musicianship. The regular drummer of the band broke his wrist mid-tour, but stand-in Ahmed Gallab was absolutely top notch.

The crowd was so enthusiastic that random bursts of applause would break out right in the middle of a song, or after a round of furious drum work, and you could tell that the guys on stage were just eating it up. They only have a handful of U.S. dates left on their tour (Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, New York) but from what I've read they are pretty much always on the road, so keep an eye on them. I know I'd gladly pay to see them again whenever I have the opportunity, and I think these guys would be a really cool attraction for a big festival like ACL with some full-on production.

For another perspective on the live show, here's a link to a recent review of their tour. Here's another one. Check out the myspace page to see tour dates, and listen to Andorra if you haven't already.
Here's a couple of older ones from Caribou:
"Bees" and "Barnowl" are from The Milk Of Human Kindness, and "Hendrix With Ko" is from Up In Flames. Both albums are solid in their own right. They have a different feel than Andorra, but it's a good thing. You can get 'em both right here, where you can also preview/purchase all the Caribou you like.

2 comments:

cubikmusik said...

that pic is great-would get me to the show just on the visuals but your review and experience just adds to that desire.
nice one mate.
:)

Mr. Curiosity said...

Thank you sir, I hope you get a chance to check them out sometime.