Monday, May 19, 2008

My Education

I just finished off writing a review for AM+E on the new album from My Education, a local instrumental band whose fourth full-length album will be released by Strange Attractors Audio House on June 10. In a town filled to the brim with instrumental bands, My Education have still been able to carve out their own niche. Each lengthy track on Bad Vibrations blends into the next in a format that would be well suited for film, with viola, vibraphone and piano playing a roles to compliment swelling layers of guitar. With these cinematic undertones having a distinct presence in the music that My Education creates, it is no surprise that they were chosen to compose an original score for the 1927 Academy Award-winning silent film Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, which was featured at the Alamo Drafthouse in 2007.

Since forming in 1999 the band has played over 300 shows across United States, while also getting remixed by several artists including Dalek, who I told you about. The new album was recorded at the Austin landmark Bubble Studios by the Grammy-nominated producer Chris "Frenchie" Smith, who has worked with an extensive list of quality talent over the years. My Education got the nod from Rolling Stone for their 2005 album Italian, and will surely grab some attention with Bad Vibrations. My favorite moment is the calming title track/album closer, where a simple guitar strum rolls along with soft touches of viola and lap-steel.

0 comments: