Friday, May 16, 2008

The Unicorns

Feeling quite nostalgic lately, I have been doing a lot of listening to this great album from the way-too-short-lived Unicorns. A friend of mine burned this one for me on a long road trip across Texas back in 2003, and at the time I thought it was the weirdest, coolest little album I had ever heard to come out of Canada. After a brief run of relative success, a fanatical following on the indie-rock circuit, sold-out crowds in the U.S. and abroad, the Unicorns called it quits just one year after Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? was released.

Two of the members (Nicholas Thorburn and Jamie Thompson) went on to form Islands, releasing Return To The Sea in 2006. A month later Thompson gave it up, while Thorburn moved forward with the band and will release the new Islands album Arm's Way next week. It's a solid album, with good production, songwriting, and musicianship, and while Islands has been steadily growing on me I don't know that they will never top this Unicorns album, at least not in my eyes. It might not be a terribly objective viewpoint, but at least it's honest.

Here's two from the Unicorns album, which you should own if you don't already, plus one from the new Islands, which you can get more of rightchea.


Rylan said...

I'd never heard of the Unicorns, but I have to say that I'm loving Islands. Its definitely interesting to see where Islands came from though.

Z said...

unicorns rule!