Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bloody Good Show

Friday night was a fun-filled affair. Very seldom do you see for bands back-to-back who are all really good, and when you do it is usually a special event. Most of the shows I go to don't match up well against the one that was held at the most indoor on Friday night, with a bill that featured Transmography, Nouns Group, Daniel Francis Doyle, and Health. First, I need to apologize to anyone I ever ignored when they tried to tell me about Health. I don't exactly know what I was expecting this band to be, but it wasn't anywhere near as kick ass as they actually are in concert.

The night started off with the crashing sounds of Transmography. The local duo put on what is probably the best show that I've ever seen these guys do, and I have seen my fair share. An energetic crowd showed up early to check out their set and Transmography didn't disappoint, blending together a tight set that was equal parts synth-jam and fierce drumming. Even when they swapped instruments and substituted the keyboard for guitar, the quality was seamless.

Nouns Group took the stage next and immediately caught my attention. From what I gather they are a new band out of Denton, and they were playing angular rock that was nice and loud, and somewhat chaotic, and complimented well by a violin. I should have taken a moment to go over and chat with them for a little while to find out more, because there are very few Nouns Group resources on the internet. Regardless, I will definitely be checking out their next show in Austin.

Further heightening the nights awesomeness was the extremely impressive performance of the Austin-based Daniel Francis Doyle. I had seen his name dozens of times in the past but had no idea what I was in for. Now I have seen plenty of one-man bands, probably more than most people, but I have never seen anyone do it as accurately, professionally, and intensely as Daniel Francis Doyle. He takes the looping of guitar riffs to the next level, looping three or four parts together, and controlling them via foot pedal while simultaneously beating a drum set worse than Ike vs. Tina and exorcising his insides by emitting anger-filled lyrics at top diaphragm capacity. Whoever booked this show knew exactly what they were doing, because all three of the opening bands complemented each other perfectly and put the crowd in the right frame of mind to take on Health.

Like I said earlier I had my doubts about Health and became sick of the hype that surrounds them a long time ago, but these guys came out and absolutely killed it. I was glad that I had chosen to skip Wolf Parade and Aesop Rock, because when these guys started cranking it out I knew that that's where I wanted to be. Their sharp, piercing, angular guitar riffs forged with thumping beats sounded like some sort of new age, instrumental psychedelic-rock/noise-metal hybrid. I don't know what I was expecting from Health, but it sure wasn't the overwhelming waves of guitar that they delivered. They closed out the bloody good show and left the crowd yelling for more. Switchburn was in attendance and caught much of the action, so keep an eye out. If you haven't already, give each of these bands some attention at your earliest convenience.
nounsgroup.com
myspace.com/transmography
myspace.com/danielfrancisdoyle
myspace.com/healthmusic

0 comments: