Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Notwist

There's a saying that goes "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could." Well, I had never listened to The Notwist before this week, but I'm catching up quickly. I recently took their newest album for a spin and heard some things that I liked, so I went back to check out 2002's Neon Golden and heard even more goodness. Neon Golden appears to be some of their best stuff, but in my opinion The Devil, You + Me can't possibly be far behind.

It's definitely indie rock, but they toss in these electronic elements and other little nuances that subtly add life to their music and generates a flow that moves nicely from front to back. Each track is just a little different than the last, blending singer-songwriter pop with electronic rock into an oddly captivating recipe. The live drums, bass, and guitars mesh seamlessly with electronic beats and synths, all complimented nicely by the soft-yet-solid vocals of Markus Acher. The Notwist has been around since 1989, forming in the German town of Weilhelm, and they've been successfully crafting pop experimentation ever since. Here's a track from the new album, plus two from Neon Golden.