Monday, July 21, 2008

The Secret is Out

The Secret Machines, minus Ben Curtis, are back. They (Brandon Curtis and Josh Garza) are working on a new album, playing some shows, debuting new material, doing the whole thing. This is all recent news to me, as last I heard The Secret Machines were no más, so I kind of stopped paying attention. I was always a big fan of their first EP (September 000) and their debut album (Now Here Is Nowhere) especially, but they kind of lost me with the follow-up (Ten Silver Drops.) It was good, but that material couldn't touch their earlier stuff.

I saw the Secret Machines play a show in Houston back in 2004, and to this day my friends and I who were there still talk about it. Their drummer is intense (winning an Esky Award for Best Drummer from Esquire Magazine in 2005,) they had an brain-bending light show that was unforgettable, and the old Dallas natives sounded great blasting out their mixed bag of spacious rock.

It was definitely the best show I can remember seeing in the city of Houston, so I'm hoping that this new incarnation of the Secret Machines will rock as much as the previous one. I've read that the new stuff is return to the heavier sound found on "Now Here Is Nowhere," and Austin will have a chance find out on Saturday, August 2nd at Stubb's.
Secret Machines Tour Dates:
  • Sun 07/27/08 West Hollywood, CA Viper Room
  • Mon 07/28/08 Tucson, AZ Rialto Theatre
  • Tue 07/29/08 El Paso, TX Club 101
  • Wed 07/30/08 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theatre
  • Fri 08/01/08 Dallas, TX House Of Blues
  • Sat 08/02/08 Austin, TX Stubb's (tix)
  • Sun 08/03/08 San Antonio, TX White Rabbit
  • Tue 08/05/08 Jacksonville, FL Plush
  • Wed 08/06/08 Fort Lauderdale, FL Revolution
  • Thu 08/07/08 Saint Petersburg, FL Jannus Landing
  • Fri 08/08/08 Lake Buena Vista, FL House Of Blues
  • Sat 08/09/08 North Myrtle Beach, SC House Of Blues
  • Sun 08/10/08 Jersey City, NJ Liberty State Park

3 comments:

uselessgoo said...

I caught them at Voodoo Fest 2 years ago when they did the In The Round shows. They were so awesome and no one was watching them. . .I guess not too many know about the 'secret' yet. Really looking forward to this show her in ATX!

Lulu said...

Yes...they are back .... watch out for new album October 14 - I just saw them in FLA 2 weeks ago and they rocked ... and few in the crowd realized what they were witnessing ... the rebirth of one of the greatest bands of our generation... spread the Secret !

Mr. Curiosity said...

yeah, the show was incredible.