Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Syclops

I've Got My Eye On You, the new album from DFA's anonymous analogue electronic outfit, kind of sounds like the soundtrack to a videogame about breakdancing. It also kind of sounds like something you could do on your own if only you had the equipment, except the more you listen to the album, the more you realize there is no way on Earth you could pull this off. For some reason every time I hear it all I can think of is the Ghostbusters movie, which is something that you'll never convince me isn't awesome. Dusted Mag says it better than I:
"Start spinning this record and you’ll be too busy loving the sped-up sonar of “NR17” to care about what’s going on behind the scenes. I’ve Got My Eye on You simmers with stunning arrangements driven by a loose, live feel exemplified in the drumming of “Nelson’s Back” and the jazzy piano on “A Lovely Sunday.” It’s still too early to be talking about what we’ll remember at year’s end, but I’ve Got My Eye on You is a potent mix of dancefloor deadringers and outer-space experimentation that never wears out a listener for being blandly slick or too abstruse for its own sake. Maurice Fulton and his anonymous band of beatmakers may very well have found the key to the DFA’s next dimension."
Here's two cuts from the album to try on for size:

0 comments: