Sunday, December 07, 2008

David Banner & Bun B

I had no idea who David Banner was before The Fader party at SXSW this year. Judging by the name I just assumed he was another R&B singer in the mold of Donell Jones or D'Angelo, so let's just say I didn't have the highest expectations as Cubik Musik and I were waitng for the man to take the stage.

But, after this massive Mississippi rapper was done putting on one of the best spectacles of the festival, moshing with the crowd, climing all over the speaker stacks, spraying beer all over the place and generally dominating the stage, I made sure to shake his hand on our way out. This show created a lot buzz, with dozens of people crowning David Banner the SXSW champ. San Fransisco Weekly and Pitchfork both had an awesome time, for example.

David Banner will be back in town this Tuesday at the Austin Music Hall, co-headlining with Bun B of the legendary Texas rap duo UGK. If you want to see two of the southern rap's heaviest hitters on the same stage, I have a pair of tickets to give away. Just send me an e-mail with David Banner in the subject line, and tell me how much you want to see the show. Whoever is most convincing gets the tix. Recommended by Do512, The Decider, Austin360, and yours truly.

1 comments:

Thomas said...

I was bummed to miss David Banner at SXSW but his AMH performance didn't disappoint. Review: http://thomas-thecorner.blogspot.com/2008/12/mississippi-goddam.html