Friday, December 05, 2008

Heavy Hands

The more I start to think about which albums I enjoyed the most in 2008, the more daunting the whole idea becomes. And with each new day comes the realization that there was a ton of really good music released this year that I either haven't listened to yet, or am totally unaware of. This debut album from Heavy Hands is a perfect example of the latter. I had never even heard of this band until a few days ago, but I'm already putting Smoke Signals into consideration for my best-of '08 list.

The music this Brooklyn trio lays down on Smoke Signals isn't groundbreaking, or even terribly unique, it is simply 40 minutes of stoner-blues-psych rock with move groove than you can shake a stick at. It's a great trip from start to finish, with thunderous percussion fills, rambling bass lines, and that old-school wah-wah guitar sound that sinks its hooks right into you. Highly recommended for those who have an affection for classic rock, neo-psychedelia, smoke, and everything that grooves in between.