Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Crying Light

Antony & The Johnsons released a new album recently, The Crying Light, and it's really, really good.  The album's artwork, above, is intense but gives you a pretty decent idea of what you're in for.  

Before I go any further, that's actually a real person up above.  His name is Kazuo Ohno and he's a Japanese Butoh dancer that was born in 1906 (FF: Rolls-Royce was founded that same year).

I've been thinking about blogging this album for a while, but have been trying to figure out just how much I like it.  Antony is clearly exceptionally talented, with a voice that needs little help evoking any sort of emotion from its listener.  The album is deep and emotional.  It's dark and dreary at times, but has a few pick me ups like the bouncy "Kiss My Name" & possibly the lightest song "Aeon".

I've been engulfed in this album for a few weeks now, it's worth you giving is a shot.  Check out this track:


Manny Morales said...

I saw Antony & The Johnsons on Letterman this week and I have to say I was blown away. This is the first time I had heard of and heard Antony and I am now a fan. I like the almost melancholy sound plus Antony's distinct voice which adds a sadness overall. Thanks, Manny.

Ian Morales said...

Why does Meatloaf come to mind?

OutlawBlues said...

Glad you like it Manny. I'm a big fan too. The sound is very emotional but you're right, has a touch of melancholy to it. I am pretty new to the band as well, though their last album won the Mercury Prize.