Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Day the Music Died


Buddy Holly died 50 years ago today. Instead of pretending to know more than I actually do, I'll link to one of the more interesting articles that were published today, along with a couple of my favorite Buddy Holly songs. There is a scene in The Buddy Holly Story where a cricket disrupts a studio recording session, and though that isn't where the name Buddy Holly and The Cricketers actually originated, you can hear a cricket chirping at the end of "I'm Gonna Love You Too." And did you know Bob Dylan saw Buddy Holly in concert two nights before his death, and that Paul McCartney owns the publishing rights to Holly's song catalogue?
"To call someone who died at 22 "the father of rock" is not as fanciful as it seems. As a songwriter, performer and musician, Holly is the progenitor of virtually every world-class talent to emerge in the Sixties and Seventies. The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, the Byrds, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Bruce Springsteen all freely admit they began to play only after Buddy taught them how."

4 comments:

Rob Illingworth said...

You used my Holly image without credit or permission.

Mr. Curiosity said...

I linked to the place I found the image, as I do with every other photo that is made available for all to download on flickr.

Rob Illingworth said...

Right you did. I didn't know that a click took me back to my posting. Now I do!
-Rob in Canada...still learning at 68.

Stevie Joe Payne said...

I am 67 now and I had been run over on January 30, 1959 on my Cushman Eagle by a Chevrolet. I was injured and unable to walk for some time so I was listening to the radio the morning of February 3, 1959. It seems like only a short time ago. I have been to the Surf Ballroom in Clearlake, in November 1994, so like Rob, I'm not only learning but also still experiencing at 67. Stephen