This March, the weekend before the SXSW music festival takes control of Austin, The Black Angels and Live Music Capitol will present Psych Fest #2. It will be a three-day event showcasing the most excellent psychedelic sounds you will hear under one roof, including The Black Angels, The Strange Boys, A Place To Bury Strangers, The Warlocks, Dead Meadow, The Wooden Shjips and a whole lot more.
To complete the experience there will be liquid light projections, artwork by Christian Bland & The Vulcan Gas Company, and classic trip sequences by I Luv Video & Austin Underground Film. It is all taking place March 13th, 14th, and 15th at the future site of Radio Room (508 E 6th St,) and it is gonna be awesome.
From the press release:
"Austin, Texas, spiritual birthplace and global epicenter of psychedelia. What better way to honor the cradle of consciousness than a festival of hallucinogenic sights and sounds celebrating the town’s musical heritage and spotlighting the best new vanguards of the most mind-bending music ever played? This year’s Fest also features Austin’s psych cult heroes, The Golden Dawn performing their 1968 album ‘Power Plant’ from start to finish.
Prepare your earthly vessel for lift-off. Psych Fest 2 resurrects the free-thinking spirit of the sane-minded individual through the universality of great music, honoring The Vulcan Gas Company and the innovators that played there. Non-conformists and seekers are welcome, and the uninitiated are invited to come explore outer and inner space and in an atmosphere of psychotropic bliss, because blowing minds is our business."
Friday, March 13th
- 11:30pm: The Black Angels (Austin)
- 10:45pm: The Golden Dawn (Austin)
- 9:45pm: Lower Heaven (LA)
- 9pm: Woven Bones (Austin)
- 12:15am: Sky Saxon of The Seeds w/ Shapes Have Fangs
- 11pm: Dead Meadow (LA)
- 10pm: The Wooden Shjips (SF)
- 9pm: Golden Animals (LA)
- 8pm: Indian Jewelry (Houston/LA)
- 7pm: Daughters of the Sun (Minneapolis)
- 6pm: Shapes Have Fangs (Austin)
- 5pm: The Shine Brothers (Austin)
- 4pm: Astronaut Suit (Austin)
- 3pm: The Tunnels (Austin)
- 2pm: Smoke and Feathers (Austin)
- 1pm PJ and the Bear (Austin)
- 11:30pm A Place To Bury Strangers (Brooklyn)
- 10pm: The Warlocks (LA)
- 9pm: The Strange Boys (Austin)
- 8pm: Asteroid #4 (Philadelphia)
- 7pm: Forever Changes (Austin)
- 6pm: The Vandelles (NYC)
- 5pm: The Upsidedown (Portland, OR)
- 4pm: Miranda Lee Richards (LA)
- 3pm: Christian Bland & The Revelators (Austin)
- 2pm: Cavedweller (Austin)
- 1pm: Cartright (Austin)