Friday, March 27, 2009

Histoire De Melody Nelson


A few weeks ago Light In The Attic sent me a promo for the reissue of Serge Gainsbourg’s classic album Histoire de Melody Nelson, which is unlike anything else in my entire music library. The album has just been released for the first time in North America, but music lovers in France consider it a monumental album, equivalent to something like Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band. Pitchfork recently gave it a 10/10 and named it "best new music."

It's one of the sexier albums ever made, telling the story of Gainsbourg's seduction of a hot young nymphet after he unintentionally runs into her with his Rolls Royce. He gives a spoken word vocal delivery layered over orchestral-type strings, with funky bass and electric guitar mixed in. It's all in French, but you don't need to speak the language to enjoy this stuff.

The reissue comes with the original album artwork and a 36-page booklet that features the one and only interview where Serge actually spoke of this album. Check out the whole story and more details at Light In The Attic.

1 comments:

Manny Morales said...

I've never heard of Serge Gainsbourg before but it did have a familiar sound. To find out more, I went to pitchfork.com and read a review by Tom Ewing, dated March 26,2009. This album was made in 1971, which explains the familiar sound, and when Mr. Ewing references Isaac Hayes, I had an "a-ha" moment. I listened to the song about 3 times because I liked it and it draws you mysteriously in. Thanks for introducing me to Serge Gainsbourg.