Sunday, March 08, 2009

Red Cortez


These guys used to be called The Weather Underground, but they now go by Red Cortez. All it took was one listen to the songs on their myspace page for me to become a fan. Their sound fits somewhere in between The Walkmen, Delta Spirit and Kings of Leon, all bands I'm quite fond of.

Though the Los Angeles-based band is currently unsigned, they managed to land a sweet gig touring throughout the East Coast with Morrissey, which will lead them right up to their appearance at SXSW.

SXSW says
the band is "renowned across California for thrilling audiences with their own fresh take on American rock and roll. Their music is literate and immediate and draws from the most classic of soul, punk, and blues influences."

Red Cortez will be appearing at "The Big One" along with Dead Confederate and a bunch of free booze, so that's where I will be. The band's new EP 'Hands To The Wall' is available now, and you can check them out on Daytrotter, too.

2 comments:

Manny Morales said...

I can say that I have also become a fan of Red Cortez. Both songs are great. I'll definitely have to research them some more. Thanks, Manny.

Anonymous said...

These guys rock! Saw them in Florida after Moz cancelled his shows. Fabulous band. These cats will go far. I bought their new EP and haven't quit playing it.