Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Bloody Valentine in Austin


If you are anywhere near the downtown area tonight and happen to hear a band playing, its probably just echoes from My Bloody Valentine's wall of noise bouncing off the Austin skyline. The band that effectively invented the shoegaze sound will be performing tonight at the Austin Music Hall, two days after blasting the whole Coachella Valley with their sonic guitar waves. Here's what Billboard said:
"MBV's insanely loud layers of feedback were only enhanced by the open-air setting, with the vocals of guitarists Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher perfectly centered in the mix for maximum effect. By the time the band finished the nearly 15-minute earthquake-like feedback jam at the end if its set, Coachella had witnessed the most radical, difficult and unforgettable hour of music in its decade-long history."
Their show tonight at the Music Hall is one of only five US tour dates, and tickets are still available at the link, or at the door. Next up for My Bloody Valentine will be The Palladium Ballroom in Dallas, the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver, and WaMu Theater in Seattle. Here's a tune from '88, found on the You Made Me Realise EP.

Photo Julio B

2 comments:

Nick said...

The MBV show last night was EXCELLENT. I should know; I was there. If you want to check out my review of it, check out my blog: http://barnstormer.wordpress.com/

Sorry for the obligatory self-promotion but I have no idea how else to get on to elbo.ws.

Anonymous said...

i saw them at liberty lunch and they opened for Dinosaur Jr, or vice versa.

not many shows have come as close to that one. my jeans still rattle thinking about it.

chipper