Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Photos - My Bloody Valentine


I woke up with a headache today, something that hardly ever happens. Another thing that hardly ever happens is getting a chance to see My Bloody Valentine live in concert. As I waited for friends outside of the Austin Music Hall I noticed several empty boxes of ear plugs and overheard staff members calling down for more. I opted to forgo the ear plugs, hence the throbbing head this morning.

My Bloody Valentine sounded like a freight train. If you closed your eyes it was hard to even tell which direction the sound was hitting you from. The whole stage was awash in explosions of color and light, and abstract visuals flickered in the background. The members of My Bloody Valentine, singer-guitarist Kevin Shields, singer-guitarist Bilinda Butcher and bassist Debbie Googe hardly moved from their positions on stage, remaining stoically furious for the length of the show. This excludes Colm Ó Cíosóig, who was a beast on the drums.

One song that stood out above the rest was Loveless opener "Only Shallow" with a re-vamped, monstrous chorus. Another was the epically-long set closer "You Made Me Realise," which descended into 16 minutes of glorious, blistering noise. If My Bloody Valentine ever happens to come through town again, I'll have my ear plugs ready.

All photos by Ed Lehmann. Click here to see more.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How was Josh Pearson's support slot?

Mr. Curiosity said...

I really don't know. I didn't get to the venue until 10 minutes before MBV hit the stage.

OutlawBlues said...

I told you to bring ear plugs, they nearly destroyed the whole Coachella Valley last weekend...