Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures

Last month at the Austin City Limits Music Festival I fought my way through a thick crowd to get close to the stage for Them Crooked Vultures, not really knowing what to expect. I had not even heard any of the music, I just knew it was a collaboration between Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), with Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana) back on the drums where he should be. With that lineup, it was unsurprising that their set ended up being one of the best I saw at ACL all weekend.

You've got John Paul Jones, from Led fucking Zeppelin, laying down the groove while Homme shreds on guitar and Grohl pounds away mercilessly on the drums? Now that's a recipe for rock and roll. Upon hearing their self-titled debut album today I was unsurprised once again to find that it is equally as great as the live show. Them Crooked Vultures, the album, was released in stores today and is a must for any fan of rock music, much less a follower of the contributing band members. This whole project is a winner.


Emerson G. Wadsworth said...

This band is awesome! I was at ACL when they played this year. I do a blog about austin night life ( www.austinnightowl.wordpress.com ) and talk about a lot of similar music.