Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tame Impala



I got turned onto Aussie rockers Tame Impala about two years ago. They are a rainbow sandstorm of stoned riffage, mindbending melody and blissed out adventurism from the most isolated city in the world - Perth, Australia. As the story goes, the trio came together in 2007 after playing in various other outfits, forming Tame Impala over a shared appreciation of drum beats and The Beatles. Their debut album is titled InnerSpeaker, released stateside on June 8th, 2010 via Modular.

Mixed by renowned sonic maverick Dave Fridmann (Flaming Lips, MGMT), the label calls InnerSpeaker "an explosive cosmic wonderland of ecstatic harmony and journeys into inner space." The first thing that came to mind when I sat down to listen to the album was that it sounds like the Beatles took some drugs and met up with Jimi Hendrix for a jam session. I have a sweet spot for the vintage rock 'n roll sounds of the '60s and '70s, and InnerSpeaker hits the mark.

A few weeks ago, Tame Impala traveled over the river and through the woods to a top-secret location, known only as Camp Nowhere, to play some tunes for Yours Truly. One capture is below, and another is here.

2 comments:

Matthew Hickey said...

I gotta admit - I learned about Tame Impala a little late, but I'm really enjoying them. I really want to figure out where Camp Nowhere is. Keep up the great posts Mr. Curiosity!

Mr. Curiosity said...

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you are a fan. Better late than never for sure. Let me know if you find Camp Nowhere!