Monday, August 16, 2010

ACL Spotlight: The Sword



I first became familiar with Austin metal masters The Sword thanks to a recommendation from a musician friend of mine. One day, not long after I started writing and blogging about music, I was wandering the aisles at Waterloo Records in search of something new to try out. While I was there I got a phone call from this friend, whose taste in music I trust, and they asked me what I was buying.
"I don't know", I said, "I kind of want to pick up some local stuff." "Have you heard of The Sword?" they said. "They're this great new metal band from Austin, and they just put out their first album."
I thought...metal? I am a casual fan of the genre, but I don't really buy very much metal. At the time, the last metal album I remembered actually purchasing was Black Sabbath's greatest hits. I was due to break that streak, so I picked up Age of Winters, and the rest is pretty much history. I popped in the album on my way home, and by the time I reached my driveway I was a Sword fan.

Singer-songwriter and guitarist J. D. Cronise recruited guitarist Kyle Shutt and drummer Trivett Wingo to form The Sword in 2003. Bassist Bryan Richie joined the band in 2004, and the New York-based record label Kemado Records signed the band after their SXSW performance in 2005. Age of Winters found its way onto several Austin Top 10 lists in 2006, the song "Freya" was included as a playable song on the 2006 video game Guitar Hero II.

The band achieved their first commercial success with their second studio album, Gods of the Earth, which peaked at #102 on the Billboard 200 chart in 2008. Guitar Hero once again came calling, featuring their song "The Black River" in the game Guitar Hero: Metallica, while also including the track "Maiden, Mother & Crone" in Guitar Hero 5.


Influenced by the likes of Black Sabbath, the Melvins, and Iron Maiden, The Sword has gradually become one of the most recognized metal bands on the planet. Along with being featured in the popular Guitar Hero video game series, the band has gigged with Motörhead, toured the world with Metallica, and were chosen as the sole opener for Ozzy Osbourne at the iTunes Roundhouse Festival in London earlier this summer.

The Sword are set to release their highly anticipated third album, "Warp Riders", on August 24. Anchored by an epic science-fiction narrative, the album was recorded with Pearl Jam/Mastodon producer Matt Bayles. According to a press release, the producer saw the band "expanding its range from pure metal to include bone-crunching hard rock at large. Rather than dampening its sound, the band actually sounds more amplified than ever, spewing out some of its most scalding riffs to date and channelling an unearthly bellow from its low end."
They have announced a three-month headlining world tour in support of the new album, beginning in Los Angeles in October and ending in Belfast in December. The Sword will play the biggest hometown show of their career on Friday, Oct 8th, when they take the stage at the Austin City Limits Music Festival. While three-day passes and single-day tickets for the event have already sold out, VIP tickets and travel packages are still available.

*photo by Ryan Pollack

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hmmm...obscure young Austin band plays SXSW for hi-level invitees from "indie" Disney/Sony record label...inks deal...immediately goes on extensive national van tour...sleeps in actual hotels...gets nice equipment endorsements...gets tour bus...releases song on Guitar Hero...opens for Metallica on WW tour...plays Austin City Limits fest...gee...that's an awful odd career arc for folks working in an industry that's virutally on life support, don't you think?

The Sword may live in Austin, but they're not "from" Austin. They never played the Back Room and it was THE metal club in Austin until it closed in 2007. The Sword simply claimed Austin as their own for hipster street cred reasons. And it apparently worked. Behold the newest metal sub-genre: Disney metal. Nice.

Mr. Curiosity said...

The link