Friday, July 23, 2010

Jens Lekman: Summer in 3/4 Time

Swedish crooner Jens Lekman has weaved together another fanciful summer mix mingling modern and classic tunes with snips of dialogue from old timey films. Frankly, I'm smitten. With Lekman's quirky knack for channeling theatrics, it comes as no surprise that the common denominator throughout the mix is the persistence of a waltzy time measurement.

On his Smalltalk blog Jens says, "While making the remix, my mind started working in 3/4 and 6/8 time. I started looking around for tracks in that time signature to make a mix, I wasn't intending to but I couldn't help it. It was all a big swirl. After a while I heard it everywhere. In soul ballads, in poly rhythmical African pop, in old movies. In the ocean waves tumbling in against the shore, in the beat of a lovers heart. One two three, one two three..."

This waltzy whirlwind kicks off with Lekman's remix of Au Revior Simone's "Shadows," and invites you to step into a into a summery dreamworld. The whispered vocals appropriately emphasize, "I hope you're coming with me," and I can't see any reason to deny yourself the innocent escapism of this delightful 28-minute mix. Consider it a mini-vacay easily at your disposal during these dog days of summer.
  1. Au Revoir Simone - Shadows (Jens Lekman's remix)
  2. Barbara Mason - Oh How It Hurts
  3. Thomas Mapfumo - Madiro
  4. The Morning Benders - Excuses
  5. Dialogue from Gregory's Girl (1981)
  6. Chad & Jeremy - Everyone's Gone To The Moon
  7. Music and dialogue from Day Of The Locust (1975)
  8. Eggstone - Birds In Cages
  9. Pete Drake - Foreve
  10. Armando Mantovani - Around the World
  11. Dialogue from Puberty Blues (1981)
  12. Jane Morgan & the Troubadours - Fascination
  13. Armando Trovajoli - L'Amore Dice Ciao
  14. Sharon O'Neill - Puberty Blues
  15. Like A Sleepy Blue Ocean


Doug said...

This is Rad! Thanks Lawrence!

Mr. Curiosity said...

I like it too! But thanks for this gem goes to Miss Hungry Hearted

OutlawBlues said...

Great only problem is that I chose to comment on it halfway through the new Black Angels track!