Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Slits


I was watching TV in the other night, I think Eastbound and Down, when I heard a really nice cover of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" that I was unfamiliar with. Thanks to the miracles of technology, I was able to pull out my iPhone and run the Shazam ap to find out who recorded the track.

After a few minutes of research I found out it was a cover by The Slits, a British female punk group that formed in the 70s and even supported fellow punk band The Clash on their 1977 White Riot tour. Check out the Grapevine cover below, and if it piques your interest simply follow the link to find lots of info and stuff to download.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably heard it because Ari Up, the lead singer, just passed away the other day. Without the Slits there would be no bikini kill...

Mr. Curiosity said...

Yeah I saw that she just passed away. RIP

magazinetriffids said...

A great band. At this year's SXSW Viv Albertine, one of the original members did several solo sets. Still had the attitude.
The Slits are remembered by all who knew the seventies UK scene as one of the iconic bands. It helped that they were strongly championed by the late great John Peel.

magazinetriffids said...

A great band. At this year's SXSW Viv Albertine, one of the original members did several solo sets. Still had the attitude.
The Slits are remembered by all who knew the seventies UK scene as one of the iconic bands. It helped that they were strongly championed by the late great John Peel.