Monday, November 08, 2010

Holy Wave

Holy Wave is a four-piece band from Austin that I randomly discovered earlier this year. While running back and forth between a couple of downtown clubs I stopped by Beerland to catch the Night Beats, who I saw for the first time a few months earlier at Austin Psych Fest 3. Though I had to take off before their set I did get a chance to check out Holy Wave, who were cranking out some really loud, reverb-fueled psych that you couldn't help but pay attention to.

Once they were done I bugged them about sending me some music to check out, which arrived in the form of their six-song debut CD that was recorded by Shapes Have Fangs guitarist Skyler McGlothlin. Any psych band worth their salt have been influenced by the likes of The Velvet Underground and Spacemen 3, and you can definitely hear shades of that from Holy Wave.

What stands out about Holy Wave is the sonic textures they apply to make their sound pierce through the smoke-filled haze that engulfs most psych bands. Kind of like A Place To Bury Strangers, Holy Wave can successfully take it to 11. They also manage to show some range over the course of their eponymous effort, touching on drone territory à la Brightblack Morning Light (Drugband Blues) and tossing in a jangly guitar number (The T. H. Sea.)

You can hear/read more on Holy Wave at TapeBombs and the Austin Chronicle.