Thursday, January 05, 2012

Al Lover

Chopped and screwed psych and garage rock? Sign me up.

Shapes Have Fangs - "Terlingua" (Al Lover remix)

White Fence - "Sticky Fruitman Has Faith" (Al Lover remix)

That's one of the things Al Lover does. He's a producer from San Francisco who over the last few years has gained notoriety for his melding of garage and psychedelic rock into spacey, hip hop-style instrumentals. One of his recent projects, "Distorted Reverberations," samples current psych and garage rock acts such as Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees. The dude is also into Shapes Have Fangs, Night Beats, King Tuff, White Fence, and the psych scene in San Fran. He has also reworked Captain Beefheart’s first record, remixed a bunch of Woodsist tracks, and is apparently reworking some Velvets.
 Al Lover says:
"I feel like there are some very interesting things happening in the current garage/psych rock scene. People are building off the core roots of rhythm and blues again and making it even weirder, and tougher (thanks punk rock) than they did in the 60′s. I’ve said it before, but this is the kind of stuff producers will be digging for 20, 30 years from now."

His latest mix is a collection of songs from the likes of Bare Wires, Black Lips and the Strange Boys that he absolutely destroys, distorts, and acidifies with his MPC and various pedals and recording techniques. This is a whole different kind of reverb.
from his tumblr:
"Yeah, yeah, everyone’s chopping and screwing things these days, I know, but I love it. What can I say I’m from the south. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while but never got around to it, so in the spirit of the holiday’s I figured I would ruin some of my favorite rock n roll songs from the year by giving ‘em the old lean treatment. I’ve been getting bored of the idea of just throwing a regular ass mix of songs together so I figured I’d make something fucked up for people who are fucked up and like fucked up music. Hope you dig it…. you probably won’t."
See, I too come from the south. I too spent many of my teenage years listening to rap, mostly southern, and partially chopped and screwed. So when I stumbled upon this fellow who decided to chop and screw some of the current psych/garage stuff I'm into, I jumped on it.

"We don't recommend jamming this with a headful of acid - you might never return."
-Impose Magazine
Al Lover has a lot of other mixtapes and remixes available at

Thanks to the super cool austinradar for turning me on